Residential Zoned Land Tax
Please note that a member of Monaghan County Councils Planning Authority will be in attendance at the PPN Plenary meeting on 22nd November next and will be providing information on the Public Meetings as outlined below.
The Residential Zoned Land Tax (RZLT) was introduced in the Finance Act 2021. The process to identify land to which the tax applies is now underway and the tax will be payable from 2024. The objective of the tax is to activate land that is serviced and zoned for residential use or mixed use which includes residential use, in order to increase housing supply and to ensure regeneration of vacant and idle lands in urban locations. These locations have been identified and Monaghan County Council has prepared a Draft Map of the lands considered to be in scope for the RZLT as of 1st October 2022. The Draft Map and explanatory information has been on public display since 1st November 2022 and is available to view online at http://www.monaghan.ie/planning/rzlt/
Public Information Evenings
In order to raise awareness of the RZLT, we are running a series of Public Information Evenings at the following locations and dates and times specified. Planning Staff will be on hand to answer any queries at these events.
|Monday 28th November 2022||The Courthouse McCurtain Street|
|6.30pm – 8.30pm|
|Tuesday 29th November 2022||The Planning Office, |
1 Dublin Street, Monaghan
|6.30pm – 8.30pm|
|Wednesday 30th November 2022||Council Chamber, Municipal District of Carrickmacross-Castleblayney Offices, Civic Offices,|
Riverside Road, Carrickmacross,
|6.30pm – 8.30pm|
We welcome any interested individuals or parties to attend to discuss any queries in relation to the draft maps, the proposed Residential Zoned Land Tax generally or to seek advice on how to make a submission.
Display of Draft Maps
In addition to being available to view on our website, the Draft Map is also available on public display at the following locations and times specified:-
- Planning Offices – 1 Dublin Street, Monaghan H18 X982 (Monday to Friday 9.15am-1pm and 1.30pm-5pm)
- County Offices – The Glen, Monaghan, H18 YT50 (Monday to Friday 9.15am-1pm and 1.30pm-5.15pm)
- Municipal District of Ballybay-Clones Offices – Market House, The Diamond, Clones H23 X378 (Monday to Friday 9.15am-5.15pm)
- Municipal District of Carrickmacross-Castleblayney Offices – Civic Offices, Riverside Road, Carrickmacross A81 RY22 (Monday to Friday 9.15am-5pm)
Making a Submission
Submissions can be made by the public on the Draft Map from November 1st 2022 until January 1st 2023. Landowners and third parties can make a submission to Monaghan County Council about whether lands on the Draft Map meet the criteria for being subject to the tax. Further details on making a valid submission and how lands have been identified in scope for the tax are set out at http://www.monaghan.ie/planning/rzlt/
Please note, that although residential properties are included on the Draft Map, they are not subject to RZLT if they are paying Local Property Tax. Therefore, it is not necessary to make a submission to remove this type of residential property from the Map.
Valid submissions must be submitted to the Planning Section of Monaghan County Council. There are two ways to make a submission:
- If submitting a paper copy this must be received by the Planning Office at 1 Dublin Street, Monaghan H18 X982 by 4pm on 23rd December 2022 as the offices are closed from 24th December 2022 to 3rd January 2023.
- If submitting electronically the submission must be sent to email@example.com by 1st January 2023.
Queries on the Mapping should be made to the RZLT Team in the Planning Section of Monaghan County Council by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephoning 047 30532.